2021 VC4A Venture Showcase – SeedAfrica's Showcase of startups looking to raise Seed round: $250K-$1,5M
|Application deadline||Jul 29|
|Sectors 124||Sector agnostic|
CALLING FOR SEED STAGE STARTUPS LOOKING TO RAISE BETWEEN $250K AND $1,5M.
We’re looking for 8 innovative, seed stage startups to showcase to the global network of Africa-focused investors. Are you operating in Africa, have a highly scalable solution already in the market and showing traction, and looking to raise your seed round in the range of $250K and $1,5M? This is the opportunity you’ve been looking for!
VC4A Venture Showcase Seed is the sister program of the annual VC4A Venture Showcase Series A. As part of the program, companies get visibility with 200+ investors part of the curated VC4A investor network and interviews with the leading VC funds as part of the vetting process. The finalists receive mentorship and technical advice directly from the angel investors and VC fund managers and make a center-stage appearance at the Africa Early Stage Investor Summit.
In 2017-2020, we selected 80 scale-ups from across the continent as part of 5 showcase programs, resulting in a number of Series A deals totaling over $150M. Building on this success, the ‘VC4A Venture Showcase – Series A’ is now a central component of our efforts to support investors connecting with high-quality deal flow. This is an exclusive opportunity to introduce your company at once to everyone who’s anyone in Africa’s early-stage investment space.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Being recognized as 2021 VC4A Venture Showcase entrepreneur
- Participation in the VC4A Venture Showcase deal room, including 200+ early-stage investor organizations
- Professionally edited 3-minute virtual pitch featured at the Africa Early Stage Investor Summit (November 4-5, 2021)
- 30 min deep-dive session with investors in a private room
- Mentorship and technical support by partner VC investors
- AWS Activate offers selected cohort AWS credits ranging from $5,000 to $10,000, tools, resources, and more to quickly get started on AWS
- Joining the alumni network and having exclusive access to partner events and fundraising opportunities
- Your company is for-profit, registered as an independent legal entity with less than 3 years in operation;
- Your company has a product or service already available on the market and serving its first customers;
- Your product or service is clearly innovative and/or the business model is new and disruptive;
- Your business model scalability is visible through a growing number of customers or transactions, your pipeline shows future contracts and potential sales;
- You have a good estimate of your addressable market > 1M+ people/year with potential plans to expand across borders;
- You have a strong management team of at least 2 people;
- Your team is based in one or more countries on the African continent;
- At least one of the founders has an African nationality;
- You are seeking Seed/pre-Series A investment in the range of $250K to $1,5M*;
- While there will be exceptions, your company has received investment above 25K USD from “Founder, Family, Friends & Fans” but not exceeding 1M+ USD;
- Founder(s) who previously started a successful company is a plus.
*Are you raising your Series A Round in between $1,5M – $10M? Consider applying to the 2021 VC4A Venture Showcase – Series A. Deadline July 24th.
OUR SELECTION CRITERIA
Commercial Value of your Product/Service (25%)
Your company addresses a real problem in the market. Your product or service is different from others in the industry. Your business model is new and designed for scale.
Strategy for Growth (25%)
The market size is significant and there is potential to expand locally and into new markets. Your startup is scalable and has a clear strategy for growth. You can show demonstrable progress.
Management Team (25%)
Your team has the qualifications needed to make the business successful. Management team members have complementary expertise.
Market Traction & Financials (25%)
We will evaluate your market traction, revenue streams, and unit economics. If any outside funding has been raised before, it’s a plus.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU
If you are selected for the Showcase, you are expected to:
- Engage with assigned mentors (partner VC investors) and VC4A team to prepare your 3-minute and 20-minute presentations, as well as 2-pagers with investor data as part of the deal book;
- Be prepared to pitch and engage with VC investors in the period of October – November 2020 and be part of the VC4A Venture Showcase and the Africa Early Stage Investor Summit.
Jun 01 – Jul 24
Jul 24 – Sep 18
Selection process / investor review / interviews
Showcase participants selection
Sep 18 – Nov 03
Mentorship program with VC investors
Oct 1 – Nov 03
Technical sessions with VC investors
Launch of VC4A Venture Showcase – Series A deal room to 300+ VC investors
Showcase at the Africa Early Stage Investor Summit
WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY
Llew Claasen, Newtown Partners
“Following my time as a mentor to Kais for the VC4A Venture Showcase Series A, we have concluded a transaction, and Newtown Partners is now an investor in Fulfilment Bridge. After I had spent a few thoroughly enjoyable weeks working with Kais, I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity not to invest myself.”
Kais Khadhraoui, Fulfillment Bridge
“Newtown Partners was our lead investor and the first to join our pre-series A round. I would add that this relationship/transaction went 100% online from the beginning of the mentorship program until we closed the deal. I wanted to thank you guys for the opportunity knowing this was a direct result of the VC4A exposure and mentorship program. Thanks again for your support and proud to be VC4A alumni.”