We’re looking for 30 digital startups eager to scale their innovation and boost their growth! Our free 9-month acceleration programme supports you to achieve B2B cooperation- and investment-readiness. Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Lagos, Nigeria, the Make-IT Accelerator is designed and implemented in collaboration with highly renowned local hubs, corporate partners and investment experts.
Throughout the 9-month programme, we will provide access to the right knowledge, mentors, business and financing partners and opportunities for successful business growth.
The Make-IT Accelerator, provided by German International Cooperation (GIZ), includes three structured phases:
1. Inspire – Achieve the Capacity for Growth (Jan – Mar 2018): cohort-based training and capacity development for growth, including individualised needs assessments and scaling plans and regular meetings with experienced acceleration managers to help you develop and grow your business.
2. Connect – From Cooperation Readiness to Cooperation (Apr – Jun 2018): B2B cooperation readiness training, individual support, preferred access to B2B matchmaking events with major international corporates and access to the Make-IT mentor pool as needed.
3. Develop – From Investment Readiness to Investment (Jun – Aug 2018): support from finance and investment experts, who will help you achieve investment readiness, prepare you with the skills to negotiate investment deals and provide pitch training for a final Demo Day in Lagos or Nairobi.
What the Make-IT Accelerator offers you:
While the Make-IT Ecosystem Accelerator is free for selected startups, GIZ does not provide direct funding for your business. However, throughout the nine months, you will have access to a range of services and support available to you, including:
● Local and international exposure. Be featured as a high-potential startup on the Make-IT website and present your business at various local and international events, e.g. Sankalp, CeBIT etc.
● Corporate partnership and investment opportunities. Improve your skills and capacity to negotiate partnerships and investment deals and participate in structured matchmaking opportunities with our network of prominent investors and corporate partners.
● Networks. Attend various events hosted by Make-IT partners (incl. corporates, investors, industry experts and representatives of the private and public sectors)
● Mentorship. Connect with our pool of highly qualified local and international mentors and experts.
● Supplemental education. Increase your knowledge with access to our curated capacity-building content and workshops and a community of peers, experts, corporates and investors to support continued education and development of startups throughout their 9-month journey.
● Co-working membership. Receive office space for your team with a free 9-month co-working membership.
What we expect from you:
● Participate in Final Selection Round and Kick-off week in Lagos or Nairobi (depending on location of startup)
○ Dates for Lagos: November 20-24, 2017
○ Dates for Nairobi: December 4-8, 2017
● Participate in 3-month hands-on acceleration (incl. weekly meetings) in Lagos or Nairobi from January – March 2018
● Participate in major events listed in Key Dates (see below)
● Regular attendance at the meetings of the Make-IT Accelerator
● Engage regularly with Make-IT mentors and partners
● Willingness to learn, openness to collaboration and commitment to sustainable business growth
What we do not expect from you:
Running a business is a 24/7h job. We are aware of this. Therefore, we do not expect you to be present at the whole time, but full commitment to the 9 months programme. We do not require exclusivity and can run in tandem with other initiatives or programmes in which you may be enrolled.
● For profit, registered business with a team of at least two people (must be registered in an African country)
● In operation for at least one full year
● Already have digital (software or hardware) product or service on the market and evidence of revenue
● Clearly demonstrate potential to scale
● Based in or able to work from Nairobi or Lagos for the first six months of the programme (or travel there for regular meetings)
● A business model with a social Impact. That means that it presents a solution to a social problem, and has positive impact on society (locally and/or globally). We define ‘social’ as the basics of life (especially in terms of health, environment, food, agriculture).
Our selection criteria
You have a solid understanding of your target market and your business addresses a real gap or challenge in the market.
Strategy for Growth
You demonstrate clear potential to scale your business nationally and internationally and to create new employment opportunities.
You have solid team dynamics with the right qualifications to succeed.
You have a coherent business model with clear revenue streams and potential to attract additional finance. Evidence of previous external funding will be looked upon favourably.
While the following qualities are not a requirement, we are particularly interested in helping startups whose business models:
● include women and/or youth (aged 18-35) into their team;
● provide a product or service that contributes to the following sectors: agriculture, energy or health;
● apply cross-cutting technology (e.g. Internet of Things, FinTech, manufacturing or 3D-printing);
● contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals and have a social impact.
|Application deadline||October 30|
|Program dates||January 3 - August 31, 2018|
|Organizer||GIZPublic Sector Initiative|
|Location||Lagos & Nairobi|
|Sectors||Banking, Computer software, Creative, media and entertainment, E-commerce, Internet, Mobile, Telecom|
We seek mentoring on how best we can leverage on existing healthcare ecosystem and optimize same for desired business scaling. A successful plug-in to relevant players in the ecosy…
We are requesting for a mentor who can direct us in this area or even introduce us to few people. Our solution works best for small and medium sized businesses in need of an easy w…
We are looking for a mentor to help us on matters strategy, operations and on sales and marketing. We will highly value the mentors input as we better our services.
The kind of support needed is from an experienced person in SaaS roll out who can offer assistance in apt price modeling, using SAAS metrics to identify the right curves and direct…
We would be glad to get support in putting together a workable plan fro securing strategic partnerships, managing product launch, product positioning and feed back loop. It will he…
ICE would like to request a mentor who has a passion for the power and technology industry who can help develop advise and guide ICE team in a more efficient manner of internal com…
We need a mentor who will help us build new business relationships and partnerships for our product. Additionally, one who will help open our mindsets for a better approach.
We are looking for a mentor who will navigate us. She will provide the guidance, connections and knowledge of setting up the centre therein. We will be very grateful for this
Our team at Annona is looking for an individual who has worked in global supply chains, preferably in fruits and vegetables, to help us market to exporters in Africa. It would be g…
We look forward to new networks in the health space as well as the latest opportunities that our model can tap into, so we can finally integrate our system.
We need a mentor who has expertise in launching new electronic products in Nigeria - and who can help us with distribution challenges we face.
We need help in building new business relationships and partnerships with Corporate organizations for our design/ brand identity development, print management and distribution serv…
We are seeking a mentor with experience in this space to help us troubleshoot our plans before going live and while live.
We need help in business development and guidance. We need help to unlock specific partnership opportunities. AB3D is also looking for more help around strategy and practices that …
We are looking for mentors who are global leaders in the financial innovation space. mentors with clear line of sight to industry dominance and has navigated IPO for preferably fin…
We need support in securing a workshop space and network to machine fabricators and skills on how to set up a workshop and do financial and company structure. In addition to doing …
To this end, we need help in getting top level introductions to the management of these health insurance companies. This will enable us close key deals with key stakeholders (e.g. …
We need help in fine-tuning our business strategy and obtaining potential partners who may or may not be in the agricultural sector but are beneficial in the uptake of our solution…
We are looking for mentors with extensive supply chain experience and access to a network of possible commodity buyers as we navigate this next steps. We would also appreciate ment…
Slide Safe wants to become profitable, and I believe a mentor with experience working with health start-ups, who understands some of the uniqueness of the challenges, will be bette…
We are requesting for a mentor who can review our business model, pitch, financials and strategy and help us to polish. Would also expect the mentor to connect us to potential inve…
Am requesting a mentor who would walk me through my problem as well as help me access capital investment
We are looking for mentors that will guide us in establishing the right partnerships that will help us scale and help in raising funds.
I need someone who has in-depth knowledge of the education space and understands what it takes to manage innovation and change at scale, broker partnerships and deliver exquisite c…
-we are looking for experienced experts to re look at our business model and provide fresh insights and advisory especially in finance modeling -We are currently running a seed fun…
We are seeking B2B Edtech mentor to help us attract world class talent, raise growth capital and scale our service to other African markets starting with Nigeria
We are looking for advice on strengthening our leadership and corporate policy framework within our organization and developing back office processes robust enough to scale across …