In this second edition of the program, Utzil calls on international innovators to present proposals to develop strategic pilots in the challenge of access to education in Guatemala. Through this program, innovative, sustainable and scalable solutions will be identified to address the problem of education in the country and pilot solutions in 2021.
Focus 2021 will be on improving the learning skills (literacy or STEM) of public primary school students in marginal or rural urban areas in the municipalities of Huehuetenango, San Marcos, Quiché, Alta Verapaz, Totonicapan, Zacapa and Chiquimula, through innovative hybrid education practices (television, radio, internet, etc.).
The duration of the process implementation for the selected proposals (s) to be carried out for this second Utzil challenge will be ten months.
Those who can participate
Can present proposals legally constituted in any of the 48 member countries of the IDB and with experience or anticipated impact on the topic of hybrid education.
These entities include innovators, entrepreneurs, startups, non-governmental organizations, companies, academic institutions, research institutions, social enterprises, public innovation agencies or similar entities with knowledge in the development and implementation of hybrid education-oriented intervention models in marginal or rural urban areas.
Up to two proposals for implementation in Guatemala will be funded.
The program offers in total up to USD 90,000.00 of cash prize to be distributed between the two winners, to execute and achieve the proposed impact with the solution.
The award of each proposal will be based on the proposed scope, the award will be presented according to the results proposed.
Evaluation and selection
An evaluation committee will be formed composed of IDB leaders and external consultants in the field that will validate and provide their vision to the evaluation processes performed. The committee will define the organization or organizations finally selected, both to participate in the workshop and to strengthen the proposals, as well as the selection of the proposal (s) that will receive support and funding for payment for results for an implementation of ten (10) months.
- Launch: July 23, 2021
- Closing of proposals receipts: August 23, 2021
- End of assessment: August 30, 2021
- Announcement of the seven (7) proposals participating in workshop strengthening implementation plans: September 6, 2021
- Workshop strengthening implementation plans: 13 to 15 September 2021
- Selection of the selected proposals to receive accompaniment and award to incentivize the scope of their results in their implementation: 15 to 20 September 2021
- implementation: October 2021
- Baseline diagnostic phase: October 2021
- Preparing and/or developing methodology, technology, etc.: November 2021 to January 2022
- Running pilot with target group: January to June 2022
- Demonstration Day: July 2022
|Program dates||Oct 1, 2021 - Jun 30, 2022|
Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela