The Small Enterprise Development Agency (SEDA), in collaboration with the SA Innovation Summit, bring you Fem-In-Tech – a female-focused entrepreneurship development program for South African women. Fem-In-Tech is aimed at empowering South African women with tech and tech-enabled start-ups with the entrepreneurial and leadership skills to launch and grow their businesses.
Through this program, a community of female-led start-ups will be created with the purpose of supporting each other through their journeys. At the end of the program, the women will be equipped with the skills to pitch their business case to potential investors on the Demo Day, and a select group will be matched to potential business supporters and funders through the Match and Invest Platform.
THE TEAM – South African Female Founder / Co-Founder. More than one founder and a strong team.
BUSINESS OVERVIEW – ≤ 5 Years in Operation (min. 1 year). Stage of development: seed capital/ angel investment/ venture capital.
PRODUCT AND INNOVATION – Is the product/service innovative and unique? Product maturity: minimal viable product/early stage/ready to scale. Competitive advantage (IP / Trade Secret)?
MARKET DEMAND – Are customers, segment sizes, distribution and after-sales proven? Sound knowledge of alternatives and competitive advantage.
SCALABILITY – Can the team and offering grow quickly, outpace competitors, and penetrate new markets? Is there a sound business plan.
REVENUE / FEASIBILITY – How is revenue generated? Have operations, marketing, pricing, volume, costs, risk mitigation, and return on investment been quantified?
A panel of evaluators will review all applications and selection made based on the information provided in the entry form. Selected applicants will undergo an online training program covering:
- Business Model Canvas
- Pitch training: preparing a pitch for potential funders or other support
The training will include a pitching workshop where participants will practice how to deliver a 4-minute pitch.
Feedback will be provided following the workshop and the Top 20 will progress to the next phase – Demo Day and Business Matching. The Top 20 will showcase their businesses by pitching during the Demo Day and matched with potential funders and business supporters through the Match and Invest platform.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Please take your time to carefully submit your application as this will be the first level of evaluation.
- The program is open to women-owned tech and tech-enabled start-ups operating in South Africa. You may enter as an individual, group, or company.
- The Intellectual Property should belong to you or your company and you should be able to supply proof of ownership on request.
- Applications close on 10 July 2020.
- Only applications received online using the online submission form will be accepted.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right, by its sole discretion, not to accept entries or to disqualify entries at any stage should it transpire that such entries have been made by illegitimate, suspicious, and/or unqualified participants.
- Where applicable: Fem-In-Tech is a non-confidential program and the full responsibility lies with entrants themselves to protect their concepts through any means. Your concepts will be viewed in public and by many different audiences in order for you to make connections. It is therefore important to be compelling about what you do and how you will be sustainable without divulging your know-how in terms of recipes, formulas, code, knowledge or other means.
- By entering the program, you give the SAIS permission to use images, footage, and other visuals collected during the pitch on social media, the SAIS website, and any other platform relevant to the SAIS and SEDA.
- For any program inquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All participants will be informed of the outcome of their application after the evaluation process has been completed after the closing date.
- A complimentary delegate ticket will be issued to select participants.