The focus of the New Economy Accelerator (NEA) is on accelerating enterprises within sectors with a high potential to transform local economies such as production, retail, energy, water, housing, transport and information technology.
NEA supports enterprises by providing the following:
- Business development – Formal training designed to enable entrepreneurs to tighten their business model (including their alignment to new economy principles), improve their operating framework and to attract potential investments as well as increase business productivity.
- Growth preparation ad acceleration – One-on-one coaching and mentorship is offered to each of the participants for the duration of the programme. A local panel of successful BoP entrepreneurs will also be established as a means of support for the NEA entrepreneurs as well as linking them to broader networks on new economy practitioners and influencers beyond the local community. In addition, throughout the programme regular media engagement and profiling will be done on behalf of the particiapnts in order to increase their visibility.
- Investor Roadshow – In addition to making the participants investor ready, a formal pitch or Demo Day will be organised for entrepreneurs to network with impact investors, government funders and influential business leaders.
The NEA programme is specifically designed for early stage enterprises operating at, or serving the BoP and meet the following criteria:
- Commercial viability and potential to scale up
- Business model designed to service low income areas or is owned by locals in these areas
- Incorporates new economy principles i.e. innovative forms of ownership, distribution of goods and services, innovative tools (e.g. time sharing)
- Address key social and environmental issues