The Forumfor Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is the apex continental organization responsible for facilitating and coordinating agricultural research and innovation advancement on the continent. It is also the technical arm of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the African Union Development Agency (AUDA)-NEPAD on the mobilization of science, technology, and innovation (STI) for the development of the continent’s agriculture and food system. FARA is headquartered in Accra, Ghana and has existed for 25 years. FARA’s unique role is to enhance the connection of science, technology, and innovation through the AASW event and the agribusiness platform.
The General Assembly (GA) is FARA’s highest organ of governance. In response to demand from FARA’s stakeholders, from 2005 when the third FARA GA was held, the GA was bundled with the African Agriculture Science Week (AASW). The AASW took the form of a continental scientific conference and an agricultural research and innovation marketplace/exhibition. The last AASW and FARA GA was the seventh edition of the event. It was held in Kigali, Rwanda, in June 2016. The 8th edition of this event was set to be held in 2019 but owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was postponed to this new date with a strong private sector engagement.
The AASW8 will strengthen linkages between agribusiness and research/innovation to improve the
competitiveness and mobility of commodities produced within the continent and to ensure that investments in innovation are relevant to the needs and opportunities in the African agribusiness domain. Thousands of critical stakeholders within the Agricultural and Agribusiness space in Africa and
globally will converge in Durban under the following thematic areas:
- Science– business Nexus to Boost Intra-African Trade
- Nutrition-Sensitive and Gender-Responsive Food Systems
- Climate Resilience, Natural Resources Management and Farming Systems Transition
- Knowledge Management, Digitalization, and Youth Entrepreneurship
- Policies, Institutions, Capacities
- Match-Making– Link with key buyers on the continent and beyond to farmers and Agri-processors across the Agri spectrum in Africa.
- High Tech Expo– To showcase latest technology and innovations relevant to all types and sizes of farming and agribusiness enterprises.
- Youth Competition– Using the AASW event to set up and facilitate collaboration to support agripreneurs
Who should participate?
- Researchers, extensionists, and all actors in Agricultural Research for Development (ARD)
- Investors in agriculture, Agri processing industry experts, and suppliers (who service small scale farmers with digital support APPS, through to suppliers of large-scale commercial farming equipment to showcase their latest technology in mechanization.
- Local and international banks.
- Commodity dealers, traders, and Insurers.
- Agri processing Packaging and marketing
- Development Agencies
- Country pavilions from the African Continent as well as Africa’s trading partners from the Middle
East, Europe, the Far East, and America
Registration is now open for Participants, Exhibitors and institutions interested in organizing Side Events at: https://aasw.faraafrica.org/ .
Individual Participation Fees:
International Participants- Two hundred and Fifty US Dollars ($250)
Local Participants – Two thousand nine hundred South Africa Rands (2,900 R).
Registration closes on February 28, 2023.
|Organizer||Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)|
Agribusiness, Clean technology and energy, Environmental services, Utilities, Construction and manufacturing, Manufacturing, Creative, media and entertainment, Education, Accounting services, Adtech, Agritech, Artificial intelligence, Banking, Big data, Blockchain, Business services, Cars, Cloud solutions, Community water systems, Consulting and business development, Diversified services, E-learning, E-sports, EdTech, Enterprise software, Financial services, Fintech, HealthTech, Hygiene, ICT, Import and export, Insurance, Internet, Internet of things (IoT), Investment management, Legal services, Logistics, Machine learning, Marketing and PR, Mobile, Nanotech, New media, Online analytics, Online payment processing, Personal transport, Post and express, Quantum computing, Sanitation, Smart city solutions, Software as a Service, Telecom, Tourism, UAVs (drones), Virtual reality, Water storage, Water treatment