For 40 years, Ashoka has selected social entrepreneurs with high impact and systems change projects, incorporating them into their global network of over 3,500 members in 95 countries. In our region more than 250 social entrepreneurs are already part of this community of leaders.
This year Ashoka seeks to increase the number of applications from entrepreneurs based outside Mexico City and from Central American and Caribbean countries.
The Ashoka Fellows selected receive economic, professional and collaboration support to expand their transformative capacity in a meaningful way, and at the same time to build and activate networks to promote spaces where all people can develop as Changemakers.
The Ashoka selection process is based on five criteria, with which we evaluate all candidates:
- A new idea: Proposes a project with innovative strategies, methods, or approaches that radically modify how a sector operates and not only address the symptoms of a problem.
- Creativity: Creates new approaches to addressopportunities and problems. The candidate has original ideas when implementing their project, overcoming obstacles and building a vision for the future.
- Ethical fiber: The candidate demonstrates strong ethical principles and commitment to others, and stands out for their determination, courage, dynamism and perseverance.
- Entrepreneurial trajectory: There is evidence of having implemented projects and initiatives and demonstrated determination and ingenuity in other stages of their life; as well as a strong commitment to the cause.
- Social impact: the initiative solves a problem at the root leval. It has the potential to generate geographically scaled impact, and demonstrates its potential with qualitative or quantitative impact data.
Want to know if you meet the criteria? Download the self-assessment.
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago