The inaugural Milken-Motsepe Prize focuses on accelerating progress towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1 and 2: no poverty and zero hunger.
A collaboration between the Milken Institute and the Motsepe Foundation, the Milken-Motsepe Prize in AgriTech is a global competition for innovative solutions to increase economic value to farmers, from seed to sale.
Registration is free and open to anyone, with a USD 1 million grand prize available for the winning team, and USD 1 million in additional prizes.
- 60%: Sixty percent of the African population is employed in agriculture, with more than 80% of all output produced by small-scale farms.
- 50%:Agricultural productivity growth in Africa is about half that seen in other developing economies.
- 40%:Up to 40% of food produced by smallholder farmers in Africa is lost between harvest and consumption.
How to Win
Registration for the AgriTech Prize is free and open to anyone, anywhere.
- Design round: Teams submit their design and business model. An independent panel of expert judges will select up to 25 teams to receive USD 10.000 each and advance in the competition.
- Finalist round: Teams develop their prototypes and conduct field tests on small and medium-sized farms in Africa.
- Awards: Winning teams will increase net economic value to small and medium-sized farms by:
- Developing innovative technology solutions for any stage of the food system, from seed to sale
- Designing a viable business model
- Increasing farm productivity and/or decreasing post-harvest loss.
Many entrepreneurs lack the information and tools they need to bring their invention to life. In addition to the chance to win cash prizes, the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program provides a rich set of opportunities for entrepreneurs.
- Online Community: Simply complete the free prize registration process and you will join an online community of other entrepreneurs. The prize portal will give you access to:
- Team matchmaking
- Resources for entrepreneurs
- Online training & help-desk
- Certificate Program: Teams will receive a 12-week experiential learning program powered by the Stanford Center for Professional Development Idea to Market curriculum. Upon completion of the program, teams will receive a Certificate of Completion:
- Stanford center for professional development certificate of completion
- Mentoring from industry experts
- Pitch & feedback sessions
- Alumni Network: Winning teams will join the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program alumni network following prize completion, with access to:
- Data analysis
- Networking opportunities