|Application deadline||Apr 27|
|Program dates||Apr 20 - 9:00 - May 20, 2020 - 18:00|
|Organizer||Make-IT in Africa|
Fiji, Kiribati, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Africa, Americas, Antarctica Region, Asia, Europe, Australia and New Zealand
Agribusiness, Business services, Clean technology and energy, Utilities, Construction and manufacturing, Creative, media and entertainment, Education, Financial services, Healthcare, ICT, Leisure and travel, Retail and wholesale, Consumer durables, Consumer non-durables, Transport and logistics, Water, sanitation and hygiene, Automotive, Clothing and textiles production, Computer hardware, Electronics, Food production, Furniture
The coronavirus (COVID-19) has placed a heavy burden on developing countries unravelling enormous social and economic consequences. Therefore, the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) together with “Team Europe” partners including the EU Commission, other EU member states, tech companies and civil society are calling out the global hackathon #SmartDevelopmentHack. We invite you to become part of this mission. The “Call for Solutions” is now open until 27.04.2020!
We are calling for digital solutions worldwide to adapt them to the challenges faced in developing countries and to immediately implement them against the COVID-19 crisis. This will be achieved through a match-making of digital solution providers and implementation expertise. The best teams will enter a two-day intensive hackathon, present their proposal to our jury and potentially receive significant financial support for direct execution.
Process and Timeline
- 20.04.-27.04.: Call for Solutions to our challenges
- 20.04.-30.04.: Call for Implementing Partners
- 04.05.-11.05.: Matchmaking between solutions and implementation experts
- 14.05.-15.05.: Two-day online hackathon
- 20.05.: Winner announcement
You have an innovative and digital solution that applies to our challenges? As a solution provider, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You need to offer an existing digital solution and apply
- The solution must be easily adaptable to the relevant context for quick implementation
- Eligible are private companies (start-ups, profit-oriented companies, social enterprises), NGOs, foundations, academic and research institutions
- This is a global call for solutions. However, participants from the EU, Africa, Middle East, Asia and Latin America are particularly encouraged to submit solutions
- To attend the hackathon, you need to be free on 14.05.-15.05.
What’s in it for You
We support you with professional digital as well as long-term local expertise to implement the solutions together in our partner countries. In addition, you will be given the opportunity to network with a diverse group of organizations and individuals of the digital economy and public sector. Finally, a jury of BMZ, the EU Commission, Smart Africa, GIZ and other partners will select the best hackathon projects – which will receive significant financial support for the implementation to scale their idea within the vast partner network.
To apply and for more information about the #SmartDevelopmentHack, go to our website >>