The Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) fosters international cooperation and solidarity in the delivery of technical assistance and in the creation, development, and improvement of telecommunication and ICT equipment and networks in developing countries. ITU-D is required to discharge the Union’s dual responsibility as a United Nations specialized agency and executing agency for implementing projects under the United Nations development system or other funding arrangements, so as to facilitate and enhance telecommunication/ICT development by offering, organizing and coordinating technical cooperation and assistance activities.
- To foster international cooperation on telecommunication and ICT development issues
- To foster an enabling environment for ICT development and foster the development of telecommunication and ICT networks
- To enhance confidence and security in the use of telecommunication and ICTs
- To build human and institutional capacity, provide data and statistics, promote digital inclusion and provide concentrated assistance to countries in special need
- To enhance environmental protection, climate change adaptation and mitigation and disaster-management efforts through telecommunication and ICTs