For startups with a social or environmental mission in the tourism sector in East Africa.
About the programme
The Travel Tech for Good Accelerator powered by TUI Care Foundation and enpact e.V, supported by UNWTO, is 3-month support for entrepreneurs, during which local and international mentors help you shape your business model, research potential investors and clients, and bring your elevator pitch to the next level. 6 start-ups are selected to participate in an intensive acceleration programme, which will take place in three hubs across East Africa. Boosting purpose-driven business development and improving the pitches will be at the core of the accelerator. Local and international mentors alongside a network of tourism professionals will advise the entrepreneurs and their team throughout the acceleration phase. The programme ends with a Demo Day, where the founders pitch the results in front of an international jury. The winner will receive a cash reward and, importantly, access to East African ecosystems and an international network of supporters and experts. The programme targets startups with business models that have a social or environmental mission and hence are dedicated to positive change in their society.
How do you benefit from us?
We invest in human capital
- We have a long-term focus on the entrepreneur
- We focus on strategic networking, coaching and capacity building
- We have a selective global network of innovators, tourism experts, investors and influencers
- We offer peer-to-peer relations between entrepreneurs and mentors/advisors from enpact and TUI Care Foundation‘s network
- We offer workshops in three tech hubs across East Africa
Who can apply?
- Entrepreneurs who have a registered business based in East Africa
- The business is in travel or tourism sector
- The business has a social and/or environmental mission
- A revenue-generating market opportunity
- A scalable technology-driven business model
- Market traction and a track record of achievements, such as clients, revenue and partners
- Entrepreneurs at or about to be at the growth stage of their business
- Don’t apply if you are at idea stage or your business is not scalable!
- A strong core team or the ability to attract one
- Entrepreneurs who are receptive to coaching and feedback
Three months founder support programme,
- Including one week of intensive startup acceleration modules per month in different locations across East Africa (locations tbd)
- Additionally one-week boot camp with international mentors and experts from TUI Business and Care Foundation
- One Demo Day in Nairobi, Kenya
- Travel expenses for one founder will be covered per startup
- Two dedicated mentors per startup
- Remote international support over the full programme period
- Application Deadline: 9 February 2020, 10PM (EAT)
- Shortlisted startups will be contacted for further evaluation
- June 1st week: on-boarding plus workshops
- June 3rd week: Boot camp
- July 3rd week: workshops
- August: Pitch training and investor readiness
- End of August: Demo day and global conference, Nairobi, Kenya
The programme is financed by TUI Care Foundation and therefore does not take equity, the selected startups will benefit from speaking opportunities in front of a variety of internationally established stakeholders and mentors. Moreover, the teams are assigned a personal advisory network of relevant experts to help founders refine pitches, acquire new customers and make connections to investors and potential clients.
Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, United Republic of, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
|Sectors||Green transportation and electric motors, Hospitality, Leisure and travel, Tourism|