|Application deadline||Sep 30|
|Organizer||Africa Woman Innovation & Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF) Event Organizer|
Agribusiness, Business services, Clean technology and energy, Utilities, Construction and manufacturing, Creative, media and entertainment, Education, Financial services, Healthcare, ICT, Leisure and travel, Retail and wholesale, Consumer durables, Consumer non-durables, Transport and logistics, Water, sanitation and hygiene, Automotive, Clothing and textiles production, Computer hardware, Electronics, Food production, Furniture
The Embassy of the United States of America in South Africa has partnered with the Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF) to implement the 2020-2021 Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) South Africa program. Now in its second year, another 125 female entrepreneurs will be selected nationwide for an opportunity to receive virtual and in-person training and mentorship sessions for eight months.
AWE South Africa 2020 is an 8-month-long entrepreneurship training and mentorship program that provides women with practical business management skills, robust networks, and follow-on opportunities, including potential funders. AWE supports women in creating and growing sustainable businesses.
AWE is centered on DreamBuilder, an online training platform developed by Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School of Management, and facilitated by experts.
“AWE is a great opportunity for women entrepreneurs across South Africa to gain university-level business and management training, strengthen their networks, and grow as entrepreneurs.” said Embassy Public Affairs Officer Maureen Mimnaugh. She noted that “particularly in a post-COVID world, the tools for successful entrepreneurship will be more important than ever, and this program aims to support women in a recovering economy of innovation.”
Call for applications
Applications are invited from motivated and self-driven female entrepreneurs for the AWE South Africa 2020 program. Entries will close on 30 September 2020. The application is of no cost to the applicant at any stage. Selected candidates will receive a no-cost entry to the program which includes:
- Enrolment in the DreamBuilder platform and expert facilitated virtual and in-person business management training and mentorship sessions
- Networking and peer learning opportunity with like-minded entrepreneurs
- A collaboratively developed and refined draft of your business plan
- A DreamBuilder certificate after completing the program
- Premium membership to the AWIEF Community
- A delegate pass to the AWIEF2020 Virtual Conference, 2 – 3 December 2020
- Access to a robust network of support, including follow-on opportunities, potential funders, and a vast network of like-minded entrepreneurs across the country.
- Women between 21 and 35 years of age and fluent in English
- Resident in one of the five AWE 2020 South Africa Cities: Bloemfontein, Cape Town, Durban/Pietermaritzburg, Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Must either have a feasible business idea or have been in business for no more than 2 years
- Ability to participate in weekly group sessions and must be able to commit 5+ hours weekly to accomplish designated tasks
- Computer literacy and access to a computer
The application deadline is 30 September 2020.