OUR OBJECTIVES AND ACTIVITIES
Build a strong community of students interested in Africa
- Annual Retreat. Held at the beginning of the year, kicks off the year for WASA and welcomes 1st years into the community.
- Social & cultural events. Ranging from themed club gatherings to Wharton wide events; these are an opportunity to have fun while celebrating African culture.
Facilitate relationships and career opportunities between Wharton students and companies seeking MBA talent from and in Africa
- Treks. Student-led trips to Africa, offer students an opportunity to meet with prospective employers while learning and enjoying the countries. This year’s trek will take students to Kenya and Ethiopia
- Career fair. This event takes place at the WABF conference in November and is attended by hundreds of students, alumni and professionals.
Increase awareness of African business opportunities within the Wharton and UPenn communities
- Speaker series. Bring in leaders in a variety of industries to speak about business and career opportunities on the continent.
Double the number of African students admitted to Wharton, and provide support throughout the admissions process
- Admissions receptions, coffee chats and admissions events in Africa.
Give back to the African Diaspora in the greater Philadelphia area
- Increasing involvement in community service, particularly in focusing existing charity efforts such as Rebuilding Together Philadelphia on the African Diaspora community and tutoring.