• Business activity: Fruit and vegetables wholesale distribution
• Business sector: Wholesale
• Investment stage: New business
• Investment amount required: USD 400,000 initially, rising to 5.0 million
• Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
• The business will be the first end-to-end fruit and vegetable wholesaler, with a cold chain from 5 collection points across Somaliland to a central packing and warehouse facility serving smaller wholesale, retail and hospitality customers in and around Hargeisa.
• The business will expand to serve all Somaliland, Puntland and central and south Somalia through 4 warehouses in the main cities.
• Demand for quality fruit and vegetables is strong and currently only satisfied by importing produce. In 2014, 40,000 tonnes of fresh vegetables were imported to Sonmaliland and 5,000 tonnes of fruit. SomFarm Fresh Produce Co will displace imports with lower cost, high quality, domestic produce.