The Africa Earth Observation (AEO) Challenge is an annual open innovation challenge aimed at sourcing novel space technologies since 2016. This challenge seeks to drive entrepreneurial activity in the African space industry and promote awareness of the value of earth observation data across the continent and in multiple sectors such as water and food security, mining, logistics, insurance, and many more.
Earth observation gathers information about the planet’s physical, chemical, and biological systems via remote-sensing technologies. This information can then be used to monitor changes in natural and artificial environments.
- The African space-tech sector is one of the fastest-growing markets globally, but it is still significantly underexploited. This sector represents a massive investment opportunity.
- The African Union has identified earth observation as a critical resource that must be leveraged in achieving Africa’s development goals.
- One of the best ways to grow this sector is through an open innovation challenge.
- To identify the most promising innovators, entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses across Africa and develop them into sustainable companies
- To develop Africa’s geospatial readiness so that African businesses can service African demand for geospatial intelligence
September 26, 2021
|Program dates||Oct 11 - Nov 5, 2021|
|Organizer||South African National Space Agency|
|Sectors||EdTech, HealthTech, ICT|