PHP Developer (Amsterdam/remote)
As Twitter and Square CEO Jack Dorsey says:
Africa, will define the future.
Join VC4A in its efforts to build entirely new industries in the world’s most exciting markets! Our international team is building a world-class service for world-class entrepreneurs and their startups – connecting capital and resources to new innovations, products, and services that have the potential to redefine society as we know it. Our data shows that the more opportunities we connect through VC4A the faster these companies can grow and scale their operations. New jobs and new opportunities in the world’s fastest-growing markets that have an immediate and positive impact on people’s lives.
As a PHP Developer you are hands on with the VC4A.com platform and are instrumental in determining what happens next with this beautiful project! Our only limitation is our imagination.
Why work at VC4A?
As a Developer at VC4A, no two days are the same. Each day presents an opportunity to tackle a different set of challenges and projects. The Developer will collaborate with the Technical Lead and Architect as part of the core development team.
The Developer will be involved with writing code and driving innovation to take the platform to the next level. The role provides an opportunity to manage integration across all tiers of the VC4A platform. The Developer applies his/her creative problem-solving skills to develop and manage a high volume social platform servicing an active and growing community.
How we work
We work in remote teams in similar time zones and communicate and monitor about our work primarily via Slack. We work with 2 week sprints in which we dedicate ourselves to a certain workload to deliver by the end of the sprint. We share short daily progress updates and restrict having meetings to the bare minimum (sprint retrospective & planning) so we can be productive and focus on our tasks. We review each others pull requests and help each other out when needed.
What you will do
- You make the platform a little bit better every day.
- You coach your (remote) teammates and provide them with constructive feedback.
- You actively spot and report of issues and work on fixing and refactoring code where needed.
- You come up with new functionalities and actually build them.
- You will respond to the pull requests of your colleagues.
- You are not shy of diving into other systems involving (Dev/Sys-)Ops when needed.
- You are eager to learn new tools & languages and share your knowledge with the team.
You have skills
- You have at least 2 years of professional experience as a Software Developer.
- PHP is your native language, but you’re not bound by it.
- You are able to write high quality code and think code quality is important.
- You’re capable of using accepted best practices and principles, such as SOLID and design patterns.
- Experience with writing custom code for WordPress is a big plus.
- You are familiar with using package managers such as Composer and Yarn.
What we offer
- An energetic environment with a passionate team focused on making a social impact and help (aspiring/)inspiring entrepreneurs to succeed.
- Competitive salaries and stock shareholding plans.
- An environment that values your proactive attitude and ideas.
- A chance to grow in a work environment with room for personal development and initiative.
- Freedom to work wherever you want, as long as you are able to meet sprint deadlines and be present at (online) meetings.
- Open and flexible attitude to taking days off. As long as you promise to come back.
- An awesome office in the center of Amsterdam where we play foosball and occasionally go for a drink, in case you are a ‘local’.
- An international and remote friendly work environment with colleagues in The Netherlands, Nigeria, South Africa and France.
Interested? Apply right away!