PHP Developer (Remote)
Join VC4A in its efforts to build entirely new industries in the world’s most exciting markets! Our international team is building a world-class service for world-class entrepreneurs and their startups – connecting capital and resources to new innovations, products, and services that have the potential to redefine society as we know it. Our data shows that the more opportunities we connect through VC4A the faster these companies can grow and scale their operations. New jobs and new opportunities in the world’s fastest-growing markets that have an immediate and positive impact on people’s lives.
As an experienced PHP Developer you are hands-on with the VC4A.com platform and are instrumental in determining what happens next with this beautiful project! Our only limitation is our imagination.
Why work at VC4A?
As a Developer at VC4A, no two days are the same. Each day presents an opportunity to tackle a different set of challenges and projects. The Developer will collaborate with the Technical Lead and Architect as part of the core development team.
As an experienced Developer, you will be involved with writing and improving code and introduce new exciting technologies to drive innovation, but also mentor other developers to take the platform to the next level. The role provides an opportunity to manage integration across all tiers of the VC4A platform. The Developer applies his/her creative problem-solving skills to develop and manage a high volume social platform servicing an active and growing community.
How we work
We have always worked with remote teams in similar time zones (there needs to be some overlap), but with flexible time schedules. You are independant in how you plan your work. We communicate and monitor our work primarily via Slack. We work with short 1 or 2 week sprints in which we dedicate ourselves to a certain workload to deliver by the end of the sprint. We share short daily progress updates via Slack and restrict having meetings to the minimum (sprint retrospective & planning), so we can be productive and focus on our tasks. We review each others’ pull request and help each other out when needed.
What you will do
- You make the platform a little bit better every day;
- You proactively spot and fix issues;
- You coach your (remote) teammates and provide them with constructive feedback;
- You come up with new functionalities, tools, technologies and actually build them;
- You enjoy improving legacy code as well as writing new functionalities from scratch;
- You respond to the pull requests of your colleagues;
- You are eager to learn new tools & languages and share your knowledge with the team;
You have skills
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience as a PHP Developer.
- PHP is your native language, but you’re not bound by it.
- Experienced in writing clean structured (SOLID) code;
- Experience with Unit & E2E testing is a plus;
- Experience with WordPress and GraphQL is a plus;
- Experience with Composer, Memcached, AWS, CloudFlare, Nginx, Vagrant is a plus;
- Agile methodology experience;
- Highly proficient/excellent knowledge of Git and related managed code workflows;
- You are able to write high-quality, efficient and performant PHP code and think (improving) code quality, setting and following standards is important. Every line of code you touch comes out better and cleaner than it was before.
- Good creative problem solving skills;
- Good communication skills (speaking, writing and code documentation).
What we offer
- An energetic environment with a passionate team focused on making a social impact and help (aspiring/) inspiring entrepreneurs succeed;
- Competitive salaries and stock shareholding plans;
- An environment that values your proactive attitude and ideas;
- A chance to grow in a work environment with room for personal development and initiative;
- Freedom to work wherever and when you want, as long as you are able to meet sprint deadlines and be present at (online) meetings;
- Open and flexible attitude to taking days off. As long as you promise to come back;
- An international and remote-friendly work environment with colleagues in The Netherlands, Nigeria, Romania, and France;
Interested? Apply right away!