Nigeria Open Innovation Challenge powered by JICA invites talented entrepreneurs, corporates, developers, etc that can change business-as-usual and bring more efficient and effective solution to the challenges present in the water sector in Nigeria.
In the 1st Edition event which will take place on May 15th, 2019, an overview of the challenges faced by the Federal Capital Territory Water Board (FCTWB) will be presented. Afterward, there will be an ideation workshop to bring together different knowledge and ideas to ideate innovative solutions.
Great ideas with potential impact will have a chance for a Proof of Concept project funded by JICA, followed by possible scale-up.
Startups, corporates, etc. with innovative digital solutions to the following challenges are invited.
- How can FCTWB improve its metering and billing process?
- How can we improve the ease of payment for customers?
- How can FCTWB improve its water supply service? Is there a new business model which FCTWB can adopt to increase revenue?
AN OVERVIEW OF THE CHALLENGE
- Major challenges of meter reading and billing are:
a) inaccuracy and workload of copying hand-written meter reading to Excel sheet and
b) delay and workload of delivering paper bills due to the absence of customers.
- Major challenges of payment and collection are
(a) unmatched payment due to incomplete account ID, which causes the customer complaints against wrong billing statements with missing payment receipts and
(b) inadequate motivation of payment for water.
- The mission of FCTWB is to supply safe water for all people in a consistent manner. Therefore, FCTWB is open to seek for other supply solutions assisted by digital technology aside from piped water. It is also welcome to other business related to water supply which increases profits and enables FCTWB to improve its water supply service.
BENEFITS FOR PARTICIPANTS
- Opportunity to know the challenges and needs of FCTWB
- Great ideas get an opportunity for a funded Proof of Concept project by JICA followed by opportunity for scale up
- Opportunity for networking with FCTWB and JICA
- Possible opportunity to network with Japanese corporates
- Olaoluwa PedroNigeria