After a 3 day marathon business plan competition, mentoring and incubation in Cape Town, Start up Africa finalists gathered last weekend to present their Start Ups to a cream of local entrepreneurs – gathered by Africa 2.0 – in the margin of the World Economic Forum on Africa.
The event was a success as it provided 3 day mentoring and incubation fundamentals to 60 local start ups selected from 1000 applicants. Start Up Africa received coverage from over 20 media houses and had in attendance representatives from key venture Capital firms, seed investors and business incubators.
And The winners are …
– “Cosmesis Medical”: Engineered artistry of World-class designed and bespoke medical prosthesis restoring dignity & confidence to patients.
– “No bull”: web device allowing to check /comment accuracy and reliability of information from internet Websites.
– “Credit crunch”: Cloud Data sourcing mobile application enhancing credit worthiness and financial literacy for loan applicants individuals and SMEs across Africa.
– “Android live TV”; Android based mobile device providing more than 100 live TV channels and high speed internet access on TV screens to low and middle-income brackets.
– “Ace”: Manufacturing of globally competitive and affordable cricket bats
Special Prize for Entrepreneur with high social impact:
– “Power Africa”: Ground water pumps powered by solar panels to provide water and electricity in rural areas.
Congratulations to the winners!
Start Up Africa was previously held in Dakar, Abidjan and Johannesburg. Entrepreneurship is one of the ten pillars of the Vision Africa 2.0. Africa 2.0 views entrepreneurship as a driving force for competitiveness and job creation on the continent and has vowed to lead by example in setting up best practice for entrepreneurship ecosystems allowing African entrepreneurs to fully reach their potential. See their website for more info.